jueves, 27 de junio de 2013

Tango Safari: Neotango

Zapatos de baile / Dancing shoes:

Here in Argentina you don't often say "tienda" / "shop", but more often "negocio/business" and still more frequently "casa" / "house".  Used loosely, you can say "una casa de ropa" meaning a particular business that sells clothing.

Still more confusingly, you often see "Ventas por Mayor" or "Ventas por Menor" which I thought for a long time meant for grown-ups ( "gente mayor" ) and for children ( "menores de edad" ).

I was wrong.

Actually, it means "Ventas por Mayor" / "wholesale" and "Ventas por Menor" / "retail".

Luckily, the world of tango is infinitely simpler.  All you really have to remember is that the word "tacos" means "high heels" here rather than a corn tortilla sandwiching meat, beans and veggies. There are probably a hundred or more different shops that sell tango shoes, clothing and accessories in Buenos Aires, but the big guns are few and distinguished.  I had planned on discussing my top three shops in a single post, but I've decided that they each deserve their moment in the sun.

So have a little patience, please.  Even if you've been dying to hear about GretaFlora (Katie), just remember: good things come to those who wait.

Like these...

Neotango:

Alright, I will admit it: I'm a sucker for Neotango.  I've never been the same since that first black t-strap pair with the red suede sole found it's way into my sweaty palms last January.  The truth is that shoes from Neotango are the most comfortable I've ever had and I've tried on probably a dozen brands in the last year and half.  While other girls cram into a size too small to fit The-Brand-That-Can't-Be-Mentioned I prefer to slip into these:



After a few scouting trips into the store on Sarmiento one of the attendants, Ariel, spilled the skinny on the arrival of a new shipment: June 26th.  I made it into the shop before lunchtime so it was not only empty, but full of the "buena onda" / "good vibes" of a happy staff drinking mate and talking tango.  If you know me, you know how hard it is for me to shop for... well, anything by myself, but Ariel - who remembered me - was more than helpful and it wasn't long before I had four or five pairs of shoes strewn out on the floor.  The brief anatomy of a tango shoe is: sole, heel, strap and heel cage.  Generally, I prefer a closed heel cage (traditional), but Ariel was convinced, as are quite a few people, that if you have lovely feet (which he said I did) than you should show them off.


"El talón abierto es lo mejor," he said / "The open heel is the best."

The underlying message was plain: "Open heel shoes are more sexy."

I took the hint.

I'd seen this red pair before, but in a plain, bright red patent leather.  Luckily, that pair wasn't available in my size (36) and my preferred heal height: (super) so I grabbed up these vermilion beauties with the "carpincho" / "capybara" detailing in "gamuza" / "suede".  I was struggling by this time, but with the look of a man who has held the hands of dozens of women in my same situation Ariel assured me that it was a no brainer.

Just then a couple of teachers - who I should have probably recognized from the pages of one tango magazine or another - came into the store in sweat pants and dance sneakers.  They dumped their coats and bags and when the kissing subsided (Argentine's are notorious for the one cheek greeting and goodbye) I made my way to the counter and made idle chit chat with the couple as to their upcoming USA tour (California, Texas, Colorado).  Was it like being among super stars?  Yes.  The fact that I was in Neotango at 11:15 in the morning meant that I was, somehow, part of the in-crowd.  My previous tour of the city last year got me more than a little street credit and in no time at all I had "leveled-up" in gaming terminology from a "novice" to "apprentice".  They even suggested a few milongas and classes which is saying a lot in a city where a dozen milongas are going on at any given time of day, night or early morning.

Review: 10/10.  Great price and value.  Helpful staff.  Extreme comfort.

Selection: Varied and constantly being updated.  They have men's shoes as well and a small collection of skirts and dresses, but let's be honest: it's about the shoes.

Hot right now: Iridescent suede accents; traditional Argentine leather designs.

Advice: Chit chat with the staff.  They will probably give you good insiders advice on milongas, classes and professors.


Vocabulario útil: 

El talón: (n). the heel (in relation to the foot)

El taco: (n). the heel (in relation to the stiletto thin heel of the shoe)

Me aprietan: "they are tight" 

Me quedan... bien: "they look good on me" or "they feel good" 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario